Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Twisted Stroganoff

I've been going through recipe and recipe of stroganoff and really haven't found one to suit my fancy. I could do the good ole traditional and use a McCormick seasoning packet and follow the instructions accordingly, but that doesn't really leave much room for inventiveness.

I know my better half has had quite the craving this famed simple European course for some time now. In looking in the freezer this morning what do I find but an entire stockpile of elk meat- elk hamburger-elk cube steak- and elk tenderloin. I hesitantly pull out the tenderloin in hope to make some concauction to satisfy his appitite. - As a side note, being an Idaho girl, born and raised, it is nearly inevitable that I come from hunting family. Most of my homecooked meals include wild game meat-ie elk. Forgive me if you do not believe in the whole aspect of hunting, but it is a readily available meat in my houshold and is frequently used. If you do not have access to such meats, you may substitute beef-different flavor-same concept. Just keep in mind that elk meat is extremely lean- more lean than any beef you will find.

1lb meat
2 tbs olive oil
1tsp garlic salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp basil
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup sour cream
cut meat into 1 inch chunks. place in non-stick frying pan. drizzle olive oil over the top of the meat.
brown both sides turning only once. season with garlic salt and pepper. add onion and garlic- cook through. add white wine and toss meat together. cover and let simmer until nearly all liquid is gone. season with rosemary and basil.
add sour cream and warm through.
serve over buttered noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment